Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

"I'm in love with a girl, nearly twice my age"...


I recently realized, that when Rya turns 3 this December (which is in itself pretty crazy to think about)…she will be twice her sister’s age for the only time during their lives!  As the song title suggests, Chubz obviously loves her big sister and often copies everything she does – as a younger sibling I can say this phase lasts approximately forever.  But for now Rya usually follows Chubz around a lot more and loves to scold her for any reason she can think of.  By this age, Rya had already developed a very strong personality and was a ‘no nonsense’ type of baby.  For the most part, Chubz is a lot more mild mannered and easy going – but she does occasionally demonstrate her temper, when Rya triggers it.  When Rya snatches Chubz’ toys away on an hourly basis, Chubz screams…walks over to the next nearest object – grabs it with a “ha! I wanted this anyway” type of look, throws it down on the floor for attention…and if she’s really mad, throws herself on her stomach too and stretches up one of her legs while she pretends to cry (which is quite amusing since it looks like a well performed yoga move).  When they’re not busy fighting with each other, here’s what each of them are up to lately:

Rya’s favourite movie this year is ‘The Croods’ – a movie about Cavepeople, from which Rya really relates to the main character, “Ip”.  Ip is a Cave teenager who loves adventure and the outdoors.  In the summer, Rya is usually barefoot in the backyard, climbing on something or other – and the bottoms of her feet look just as dirty as Ip’s do.  Rya has watched the movie so many times that she often pretends she’s a little Cave Woman who hears noises and shouts “quick – hide cave” as she scurries into a closet or dark corner.  Rya has been using complete sentences really well, especially since starting ‘school’ in August and some of her famous recent lines and stories have included:
-“Have you wait, okay mama?” – delaying anything I try to ask her to do like brush her teeth
-“No, I sleepy, wake up my brother” – in the morning when she’d rather sleep in than get ready.  And yes…for some reason she recently started insisting that Kassiah is her ‘brother’!
-Rya apparently has vivid bad dreams and her reports of them in the morning have included a repetitive dream about a boy taking her shirt away, and pushing her out of a tree!  Or the latest nightmare – she awoke shrieking and I later learned she was certain there were ladybugs in her bed, since I had threatened that bugs might come if she brought a granola bar there. 
-Other bedtime quotes have included: “I not kicking you mama, I just lub you” – while digging her feet into my back at bedtime; “I AM TALKING SOFTLY” when I ask her to whisper so her sister doesn’t wake up; and my favourite “no mama, I not sleepy, I just tired”
-Okay, I lied, my real favourite quote happened recently when we were watching a cute documentary called ‘Babies’ and she saw a naked baby boy.              
            “Mommy, he have a thingy…like a dicky”;
            “Yes honey, it’s not a dicky, it’s a penis” (while in my head “seriously, Ivan? Could you not     
            call it something appropriate when she questions yours?”)
            “No mama, it’s a dicky!  I don’t have a dicky”. 
            “Okay, whatever it’s a dicky…nope only boys have dickies, you have a vagina”
            “No!  I only have a peanut!”

As per usual, Chubz’ update will be more concise since she doesn’t seem to do or say too much just yet.  
-Her newest skill is that she has become the mystery bathtub pooper.  It used to be an occasional funny occurrence, but now she does it so often that we all shout ‘Chubz – no! – including Rya who is usually scrambling out from next to her, trying to escape the floater.   
-As many of you who have carried Chubz will know, she can be quite a squirmy wormy…especially when she’s sleepy.  Ivan calls it her forbidden dance – where she sticks her bum in and out while snuggling into your shoulder before she passes out.  
-She may have learned from me to let out a dramatic grunt when she lifts heavy things – but for her this means anything, whether it’s a ball or a piece of paper.  
-And finally, although she doesn’t say too much, her cutest word is ‘this’ – which she says with the cutest little voice and corresponding body language when she points to and begs for my boob.  Yes – she is still breastfeeding against my will at this point, which I promise to blog about soon too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment