Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Honey, I'm home!



The old me would laugh, instead I try not to cry
Whoever said staying home was easy - they told a big lie.

Note to self: he’ll be home soon – try hard to be nice
He’s the best husband ever, the love of my life!

He’s helpful, he’s handy, and a great daddy too,
I’ll greet him with a kiss and say ‘it’s so great to see you!’

Uh-oh, I hear the babies – that nap didn’t last
I could have squeezed in a shower, I should have moved fast.

Thank God, there’s the door, daddy’s finally here!
I sigh with relief and the babies start to cheer.

‘Honey, I’m home…that dinner smells great!’
“What’s that supposed to mean?  And why are you late?!?”

Oh crap – hold it together, that’s not what I meant.
But it’s so hard to be friendly when I’m utterly spent.

Let’s try this again – I should ask him about his day:
“Can you hold the baby, and put the laundry away?”

‘I will in a sec, let me take off my shoes…
Did the girls give you trouble? Are you feeling the baby blues?’

“No! I’m just fine!” I defensively say.
In my head, the greeting didn’t quite go this way.

Despite all of that, I get a hug and a kiss,
Now I finally remember the hubby I missed.

I’ll try again tomorrow to be a good mom and wife,
Right after I clean the kitchen and chase after my life!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda; What are you doing writing on Holly's blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - Jory, I can totally picture you're calming voice saying Ivan's lines...and Amanda saying mine : )

    ReplyDelete