Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

My Best Friend

If you’re starting to wonder when the heck I’ll start blogging about Mariah – don’t worry, I promise to get there soon…just want to finish setting the stage first…

Some people are lucky enough to find someone they love to share their life with; others find someone they like.  I feel fortunate to be one of the lucky few who found both.  The day I met Ivan was the day I knew that he was ‘the one’.  Lucky for me, the feeling turned out to be mutual, although Ivan claims it took him a bit longer to come to the same conclusion (what can I say, boys are slow).  We quickly became inseparable and the hunch I had about what an amazing person he was proved to be more true than I had even imagined.  We dated for about three years before getting engaged – and if you know me, you will know that I’m not the type of girl to dream of the average proposal.  In fact, I think I might have invented what I call a “co-proposal”:

We had designed my simple diamond-less engagement band together and unbeknownst to Ivan, I ordered one in his size too.  I kept his ring in my purse 24-7 for the next few months since I wasn’t quite sure when he would decide to pop the question.  But when he planned and packed for a camping trip to Algonquin a month in advance, I put two and two together and brought his ring along.  We had an amazing weekend portaging to a private campsite with a sandy beach.  And when Ivan finally built up the courage to propose, I proposed right back with the matching ring and told him that for the rest of our lives I would always be one step ahead of him : )

Two years later we had a destination wedding in the Dominican Republic with ‘just’ 60 of our closest family and friends.  Soon after, we ventured from our home in Toronto to start a new life together in Calgary and have loved our life near the mountains ever since.  Although we’ve both been anxious to start a family, we’ve really enjoyed each other’s company in the meanwhile.  Pre-baby, our ideal Friday nights involved ordering in, laying out bedding in the living room and watching movies until we fell asleep a.k.a. ‘slumber parties’.  We’ve spent our summers doing roadtrips across Canada and visiting our families in Ontario.  Life has been fun ‘just the two of us’, and in a way, I miss that time since I realize it’ll never quite be the same again.  But we were definitely both ready and excited for the next step of entering parenthood together.  So we began making our way toward the next chapter…

No comments:

Post a Comment