Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Introduction

For those of you who don’t know me personally: my name is Holly, I’m 28…and I recently realized my lifelong dream of entering mommyhood!  My baby girl, Mariah, recently arrived as an early Christmas present.  She, and the transformational process of becoming a mother, are the inspiration for this blog.  I’ve always wanted to write a book but a) I’ve never quite had a topic powerful enough to motivate me and b) my husband, Ivan, convinced me that “books are so yesterday…blogs are the new books" ; )  So I'm pushing the limits of my technology comfort zone by becoming a blogger...and now finding the motivation is the easy part!  Since the moment Mariah arrived, my mind started flooding with amazing thoughts and revelations. Things that used to bring me confusion suddenly had distinct clarity.  In fact, thanks to the adrenalin rush and hormonal changes of childbirth, I spent much of my first two post-partum weeks in a manic state.  I ‘wrote’ much of the future contents of this blog in my head during that time, but I’m sure that Mariah will inspire many more ideas as we evolve together as mama and baby.

My hopes for ‘Mommyhood with Mariah’ are to share some of my and Mariah’s new mommy and baby experiences.  From pregnancy, to childbirth, and into Mariah’s first year of life – I plan to capture some special moments in writing and share them with readers.  I will try to be honest about the wonderful parts of mommyhood - like watching my baby grow and develop,  and the tough parts - like my experience with 'baby blues'.  I will also be sharing my opinion about some 'controversial' topics such as public breastfeeding and Western medicine vs. Midwifery views on childbirth.

Since we moved across the country from many of our family and friends, I hope this blog can help our far away loved ones to still feel connected.  Perhaps other new or expecting moms might find some of the contents helpful or validating of their own encounters.  And hopefully one day Mariah herself might skim through and possibly think her mom was ‘cool’ (okay, not likely) for trying to be tech savvy…or at least think she might think it’s neat that she is so special to have inspired this online journal. 

So here we go on this journey together.  I hope you enjoy reading about Mariah as much as I like writing about her!

1 comment: