Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

So far, so good


My physical recovery from childbirth has been much easier the second time around.  Both Mariah and Kassiah were born with one hand on their head, which resulted in a small 1st degree tear.  Both times I was offered stitches and turned that unappealing idea down very quickly.  But since Kassiah was born in water with just a couple minutes of pushing, my body thanked me afterward.  When Mariah was born, I remember feeling swollen and a bit sore ‘down there’ for about a week.  It hurt to laugh and let’s not even talk about post-partum hemorrhoids (you’re welcome).  But this time, I’ve felt none of that.  The only pain I experienced afterward was back and tummy cramps from my uterus contracting back into it’s normal size during the first two days…and of course sore ta-ta’s from re-learning how to breastfeed.  (One very hot day I tried the natural remedy of putting frozen cabbage leaves in my bra and then spent the rest of the day wondering what smelled like farts!)

I had been holding my breath during pregnancy, bracing for the raging hormones that I experienced post-partum with Mariah.  Knock on wood, but so far I’ve had pretty minimal baby blues and have mostly felt like myself.  Just a couple of crying episodes for no valid reason other than sleep deprivation, but nothing like the extreme ups and downs I had after my first delivery.  I’m sure there will still be some low moods to come in the next few months though, so I’m trying to stay mentally prepared for tough days ahead.  I think it’s a combination of factors that’s helped buffer the emotional impact.  Even though my mood had eventually improved after having Mariah, I decided to stay on a low dosage of anti-depressants during pregnancy to help prepare for post-partum.  I also had my placenta encapsulated again and have been taking those regularly to restore the iron and nutrients my body lost.  And overall, I think that just having been through the process before has helped.  Whereas with Mariah I was adjusting to the huge life change of becoming a mother, this time I only have to re-adjust into being a mother of two. 

As for Mariah’s adjustment to becoming a sister – she is doing as well as can be expected for an 18 month-old baby herself.  The morning after Kassiah was born, Mariah arrived home from her sleepover and Ivan and I watched her reaction to discovering her new baby sister.  At first she looked a bit shocked but that quickly transformed into sheer excitement, which really hasn’t tapered off.  Everyday, she gives Kassiah kisses (which sometimes turn into bites) and hugs (that sometimes squeeze a bit too tight) – all because she loves her to bits.  There’s definitely some jealousy there, but more than anything, Mariah has a strong interest in Kassiah and just wants to be involved.  She’s tried to feed her popcorn and bananas, offered to share her milk bottle, and even takes her beloved pacifier out of her own mouth to try and settle her sister.  She’s a bit rough around the edges right now, but Mariah seems to be slowly transitioning into the best big sister anyone could ask for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment