Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A mother's love

When I was a baby, you were my world.
I thoroughly enjoyed being your baby girl.
I played with your ears, when you held me in your arms.
You captured me with your smile and your motherly charm.

When I was girl, we used to love to talk.
When we cuddled at night, or on our countless walks.
You taught me about life, and what it meant to be
A girl who knew herself, a genuine me.

When I was a teen, I put your love to the test!
I challenged your authority, I gave it my best.
I brought you gray hairs by staying out late,
But you never gave up, through your worrisome wait.

When I went away to school, I started to see
How very much I missed you, and all that you mean to me.
You saw me through hard times, when I was overcome by tears,
You loved me when I didn’t, you helped rid me of my fears.

When you walked me down the aisle, I again began to cry,
As I saw flashes of all the years, that had quickly passed us by.
But you hugged me and released me into a new phase of life,
To grow into a woman, as somebody’s wife.

I still call you on those days, when the sky appears to fall,
You comfort me with your ever-wise words, you support me through it all.
The good times have been a plenty, the bad ones have been so few
That I dread that day in the future, of a life without you.

Now that I have a daughter of my very own,
I finally understand just how much I’ve grown.
I owe it all to you, I’m so glad you’re a part of me,
Without your gentle love, I don’t know who I’d be.

I look forward to the years to come, now that I’m a mother
The love that I have for my child, reminds me of another.
I’ll share this gift you gave to me, the kind that knows no end,
I hope to be a mom like you, an unconditional best friend.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - that's amazing! Really nice. Made me cry. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holls, that was so beautiful....made me cry too. Will treasure it and read it often.
    And you make such a good mommy to Mariah as well, lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all liked it...apparently I'm not the only hormonal one!

    ReplyDelete